Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northeast

Theurer-Wrigley House

architect

Richard E. Schmidt

location

2466 N. Lakeview Ave.

date

1896

style

Renaissance Revival

construction

stone and terracotta cladding

type

House
 
 
   
   
This is an early design by Richard E. Schmidt and, possibly, Hugh M.G. Garden, two architects who were part of the influential Prairie School movement of the early-20th century, but whose first projects were in a more traditional mode. This design is based on the architecture of the late-Italian Renaissance, with Baroque-style terra-cotta details. It was built by Joseph Theurer, the president of the Schoenhofen Brewing Company, who later commissioned Garden to design a new brewery powerhouse. In 1911, Theurer sold the house to chewing gum manufacturer William Wrigley, Jr.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com