Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop South

Fine Arts Building

architect

Solon S. Beman

location

410 S. Michigan Ave.

date

1885; addition and remodeling, 1898

style

Romanesque Revival

construction

Stone clad

type

Office Building
 
 
   
Built by the Studebaker company for the assembly and display of their carriages and wagons, this building was converted into studios and theaters for artists and craftsmen in 1898. The renovation involved adding three floors and designing an interior that would reflect the interests of the new tenants. The interior public spaces, including murals on the 10th floor, remain virtually untouched from the 1898 remodeling.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com