Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop South

Chapin and Gore Building

architect

Richard E. Schmidt and Hugh M.G. Garden of Schmidt, Garden & Martin

location

63 E. Adams St.

date

1904

style

an interesting mix of Beaux-Arts and Chicago School 

construction

terracotta clad

type

Office Building
 
 
   
Chapin and Gore, a liquor distilling firm, commissioned this building to combine its warehouse and office space with a street-level retail store and bar. Working with architect Hugh M. G. Garden, Richard Schmidt demonstrated the aesthetic possibilities of the utilitarian building through the bold exterior expression of interior functions, fine brickwork, and decorative terra cotta. Garden and Schmidt were acknowledged as one of the most progressive architectural firms of the early 20th centrury. The building's ornamental capitals and cornice were removed in the 1950s, but are expected to be restored in 1998.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com