Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop South

Haskell-Barker-Atwater Buildings

architect

Wheelock & Thomas, for 18 and 22 S.; John Mills Van Osdel, for 28 S.; remodeling of 18 S.; Louis Sullivan

location

18, 22, 28 S. Wabash Ave.

date

1875-77; 18 S. remodeled in 1896

style

Italianate

construction

Stone clad

type

Office Building
 
 
   
These buildings provide the best remaining example of what the east side of the Loop looked like prior to the skyscraper boom of the 1890s. All three buildings were designed by prominent post-Fire architects, including the city's first registered architect, John Mills Van Osdel. The bottom two floors of the Haskell Building were remodeled in 1896 by master architect Louis Sullivan. The upper floors typify post-Fire architecture, with their distinctive round arches and decorative masonry.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com