Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop South

Chicago Public Library/Cultural Center

architect

Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge

location

78 E. Washington St.

date

1897

style

Beaux-Arts

construction

Stone

type

Library
 
 
   
This is the first permanent structure of the city's public library system. Designed to be a grand civic building, its Classical Revival-style exterior appearance and its interior spaces are based on classical Greek and Italian Renaissance precedents. The interior is extensively decorated with mosaics, marbles, bronze, and two stained-glass domes designed by the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company. The building's architect was the Boston firm that succeeded the office of Henry Hobson Richardson, designer of the Glessner House.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com