Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop South

35 East Wacker Drive Building

architect

Giaver & Dinkelberg

location

35 E. Wacker Dr.

date

1925-27

style

Beaux-Arts City Beautiful Movement

construction

Stone clad

type

Office Building
 
 
 
 
 
  Photos- Christopher Barrett, Hedrich Blessing. Copyright http://www.aiachicago.org/
 
 
 
 
This 40-story building was the tallest outside of New York City at the time of its construction. Designed as the "Jeweler's Building," it originally housed a parking garage on the second through 22d floors. The building's terra cotta-clad, classical design marks it as one of the most prominent high-rise statements of the so-called City Beautiful Movement. It is also the most notable work of the partnership of Joachim Giaver and Frederick Dinkelberg, who had spent most of their architectural careers with the firm of Daniel Burnham & Company.
 
35 East Wacker is a 40-story 523 foot historic building in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois. It was once the tallest building outside of New York City. As with many claims of superior height definitions are important. This claim ignores the Chicago Temple Building's steeple. The building was designated a Chicago Landmark on February 9, 1994.

The building originally had parking on the 2nd through 22nd floors. During the building's first 14 years the building had a 22 story car lift that facilitated safe transfers for jewelry merchants. Former names of this building were, in sequential order, Jewelers Building, Pure Oil Building, and North American Life Building.[

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com