Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop South

Heald Square Monument

architect

Lorado Taft & Leonard Crunelle

location

Wacker Drive at Wabash Avenue

date

1936-41

style

Beaux-Arts

construction

Stone

type

Monument
 
 
   
Robert Morris and Haym Salomon, the civilian patriots who are depicted here standing hand-in-hand with George Washington, were the two principal financers of the American Revolution. In the 1930s, a group of Chicago civic leaders formed an organization to raise funds to erect a suitable monument to these three patriots. Noted sculptor Lorado Taft began the design; it was finished by his associate, Leonard Crunelle. The location of the monument was named for Capt. Nathan Heald, commander of Fort Dearborn from 1810-1812.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com