Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop South

London Guarantee Building

architect

Alfred S. Alschuler

location

360 N. Michigan Ave.

date

1922-23

style

Beaux-Arts-style Classical Revival

construction

Stone clad

type

Office Building
 
 
  Rotunda ceiling
 
  333 North Michigan, 360 North Michigan, Mather Tower and 35 East Wacker
 
  London Guarantee Building entrance commemorating Fort Dearborn.
The London Guarantee Building is a historic building located in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois. It is known as one of the four 1920s flanks of the Michigan Avenue Bridge (along with the Wrigley Building, Tribune Tower and 333 North Michigan Avenue). It sits on part of the former site of Fort Dearborn. It was designated a Chicago Landmark on April 16, 1996.[1] The top of the building resembles the Choragic Monument in Athens, but it is supposedly modelled after the Stockholm Stadshus.[2] It is located on the short quarter mile stretch of Michigan Avenue between the Chicago Landmark Historic Michigan Boulevard District and the Magnificent Mile.
One of the city's few and best examples of the Beaux Arts-style Classical Revival applied to the design of a tall office building. It is one of four structures that were constructed around the Michigan Avenue Bridge during the 1920s, a cluster of buildings that has helped define one of Chicago's most dramatic and important urban spaces. The other three buildings are 333 North Michigan Building , Tribune Tower, and the Wrigley Building. Built by a British insurance company to be its American headquarters, the building's irregular-shaped site was part of the land once occupied by Fort Dearborn (1803-56).
 
 

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com