Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop North

Site of Fort Dearborn

architect

 

location

 Intersection of Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive

date

1803, demolished 1856

style

 

construction

 

type

 
 
 
   
Non-native settlement of Chicago remained sparse until after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, when Fort Dearborn was built on the south side of the Chicago River, across from the cabin of early settler Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable. The fort, which was named for U.S. Secretary of War Henry Dearborn, served as the country's major western military garrison until August 1812, when it was destroyed following an Indian uprising. A second fort, erected on the same site in 1816, was demolished in 1856.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com