Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop North

Woman's Athletic Club

architect

Philip B. Maher

location

626 N. Michigan Ave.

date

1928

style

Stripped Classical

construction

Stone cladding, steel frame

type

Club
 
 
   
Founded in 1898, this organization was the first athletic club for women in the United States. The building's architecture illustrates the sophisticated urban ambience of North Michigan Avenue, as it was originally planned and developed in the 1920s. The modern French-style classical design, which is reminiscent of continental-style Parisian elegance, is one of the last standing links to the street's formative years.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com