Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop North

Nickerson House

architect

Burling and Whitehouse

location

40 E. Erie St.

date

1883

style

Renaissance Revival

construction

Stone

type

House
 
 
   
In the years following the Fire of 1871, the city's Near North Side became a fashionable place to live for wealthy entrepreneurs, including the Leiters, McCormicks, and Ryersons. This impressive house, along with the Cable House across the street, are among the few survivors of that period of development. It was designed for Samuel M. Nickerson, whose financial interests included a liquor and wine business, an explosives company, and founder of the First National Bank of Chicago. Sometimes called the "marble palace," this building's interior is decorated with a profusion of marbles, carved and inlaid wood, tile, mosaics, and hand-tooled leather. Its architects also designed the Church of the Epiphany, which is located in the Jackson Boulevard District on the near West Side.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com