Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop North

Lathrop House

architect

McKim, Mead & White

location

120 E. Bellevue Pl.

date

1892

style

Georgian Revival

construction

Brick

type

House
 
 
   
Drawing inspiration from the neo-classical styles of the 18th century, architect Charles Follen McKim here created a residence of great dignity and elegance. The clarity and simplicity of its facade make this one of the finest examples of Georgian Revival architecture, a type of Colonial Revival, in this country, and a rare Chicago example of the work of this famed New York City architectural firm. It was built by realtor and civic leader Bryan Lathrop. In 1922, it became the headquarters for the Fortnightly, a women's organization.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com