Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop North

Sexton School

architect

Unknown

location

160 W. Wendell St.

date

1882

style

Italianate

construction

Brick

type

Education
 
This is one of the city's oldest surviving school buildings and one of its earliest high schools, built to serve the North Side of Chicago. Italianate in design, it features the classical details, bracketed cornice, and elaborate pediment often associated with that style. After its conversion in 1902 to an elementary school, it was renamed for James A. Sexton, a manufacturer who also served five years as postmaster of Chicago.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com