Essential Architecture-  Chicago Loop North

Madlener House

architect

Richard E. Schmidt & Hugh M.G. Garden

location

4 W. Burton Pl.

date

1902

style

Renaissance Revival massing, Chicago school  and Prairie school details

construction

brick, stone trim

type

House
 
 
 
This residence, which was built for liquor wholesaler Albert F. and Elsa S. Madlener, represents a high point in the history of Chicago architecture, combining elements of both the Chicago and Prairie schools of design. It has the massing, logic, and dignity of a Renaissance Revivial-style palace, yet the details and strong horizontal emphasis are thoroughly modern in design. The incised ornament around the entrance is reminiscent of the designs of Louis Sullivan. The building was purchased in 1963 by the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, an educational institution.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com