Essential Architecture-  Chicago Far South

Iglehart House

architect

Unknown

location

11118 S. Artesian Ave.

date

1857

style

Italianate

construction

wood

type

House
 
  Detail of Front Entrance
This is one of the city's oldest surviving buildings, constructed as a farmhouse in an area then known as "Horse-Thief Hollow"--later a part of the village of Morgan Park. The original Charles D. Iglehart farmstead was bounded by 111th, 115th, Western, and Rockwell. The building's front bay and rear wing, which complement its original Italianate-style design, were added in the 1870s.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com